Joseph Burr Ludlow came to Lake Vermilion in 1907 and fell in love with its 365 islands and 40,000 acres of sky-blue waters. He purchased Ludlow’s Island for $300. His son Hod built the first cabin there in 1933 and began renting it to friends in 1939. More guest cabins were built throughout the years, all without the use of electricity. Hod’s son Mark later purchased the resort and he and his wife Sally raised their four children on the island. Their son Paul and his wife Kelly now manage Ludlow’s.